Friday, July 10, 2009

Just a thought

I knew days like today were inevitable, even as we packed our bags in Africa. I knew that we were getting ready to go through yet another "transition phase" and--at least in my life--that means times of loneliness, feeling a lack of purpose in my daily routine, wishing for my own nest to build and growing weary of living out of a suitcase (or in our case, several!). But, just because I know something's coming doesn't mean I always handle it with grace. Unfortunately, today was a classic example of that. You know, one of those days when it seems perpetually cold and dreary, no email or phone calls, the girls get whiny and seem to require constant attention, no one seems to know what to do with the day...

Anyway, this afternoon I had a few minutes to sit down and reflect for a few moments, acknowledging to God my disgruntled heart, and he met me with a few familiar verses from Colossians:

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." (Colossians 3:1-3)

It hit me quite clearly that the reason I was so unhappy was because my gaze was on myself and the things around me. How much easier I seemed to learn that lesson when we lived with less in Cameroon! Now I find myself tempted to want all kinds of things that I don't have, and--most of all--lured into thinking that this world and this life is everything. The truth of the matter is that our earthly possessions, surroundings, and even relationships will likely change time and time again in this life. But what God reminded me of through Colossians 3 today is that Christ does not change. When we fix our minds on Him, we will have the same feeling of companionship, sense of daily purpose, and joy in everyday life--because he is unchanging.

It's getting late now and I don't have the time or energy to write much, but I just wanted to share this thought with you: when we set our minds on Jesus, it doesn't matter how often (or even how drastically!) our earthly circumstances change. He is our Hope and our Surety, the Steadfast Anchor of our Souls. And he will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment